Smoky Cilantro Pesto Beef Crostini Appetizers
This recipe has been rated 1 time
Rate this Recipe
- 2 beef shoulder center (ranch cut) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (approx. 8 oz each)
- 24 slices baguette bread, cut diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Smoky Cilantro Pesto:
- 3 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 small chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
1. Prepare Smoky Cilantro Pesto. Place cilantro, pine nuts, chipotle peppers, garlic, lime juice and black pepper in food processor container. Cover; process until finely chopped. Add cheese, pulse on and off until just combined. With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in cover, processing until smooth.
2. Spread 1/4 cup pesto evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks in glass dish. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining pesto.
3. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Arrange 12 bread slices around steaks. Grill steaks, covered, 11 to 14 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees) to medium (160 degrees) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill bread slices 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Remove bread slices from grill. Repeat with remaining 12 bread slices.
4. Spread 2 teaspoons remaining pesto on each toasted bread slice. Carve steaks into thin slices. Place beef slices evenly over bread slices. Top evenly with 1/4 cup cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.