Fall Vegetable Beef Stew Holiday Dishes
Be the first to rate this recipe!
- 3 lbs. boneless round or chuck, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 3/4-inch thick pieces
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp. water
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped tomato (optional)
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Cook and stir beef in 2 batches; browning evenly. Pour off drippings. Return beef to pan and season with salt.
Stir in broth and diced tomatoes and green chiles. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer gently 1-1/4 hours.
Stir in zucchini. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and continue to simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until beef and vegetables are tender.
Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened.
Serve with cilantro, sour cream and chopped tomato for garnish as desired.
Nutrition Info per serving, with 1 tsp. sour cream and 1 Tbsp tomato garnish: (1 serving, 8 oz.) 331 calories; 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 103 mg cholesterol; 424 mg sodium; 4 g carbohydrate; 0.6 g fiber; 41 g protein; 6.4 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 5.7 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 30.4 mcg selenium; 13.6 mg zinc.