Chili Con Carne Homestyle Favorites
This recipe has been rated 1 time
Rate this Recipe
- 2-1/2 lbs. boneless beef chuck pot roast
- 3 Tbsp. ancho chili powder, divided
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges
Cut beef into 1/2-inch pieces. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. chili powder; toss to coat. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot; brown half of beef. Remove from stockpot; repeat with remaining beef. Season with salt.
Heat remaining oil in same stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and poblano pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add beef, tomatoes, remaining chili powder, cocoa powder and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
Serve with cilantro and lime wedges, as desired.
Nutrition Info per serving: 246 calories; 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat); 53 mg cholesterol; 682 mg sodium; 12 g carbohydrate; 1.6 g fiber; 29 g protein; 4.6 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 1.9 mcg vitamin B12; 3.1 mg iron; 27.4 mcg selenium; 6.5 mg zinc.