Spicy Five-Pepper T-Bone Steaks
Five-Pepper Seasoning Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons coarsely ground mixed peppercorns (black, white, green and pink)
- 2 teaspoons kosher or table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce Ingredients
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Additional beef broth (optional)
- 2 beef T-bone steaks, cut 1
1. Combine Five-Pepper Seasoning ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Reserve 2 teaspoons for Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce. Set aside mixture for seasoning beef steaks.
2. To prepare Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce, heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender but not browned. Stir in ketchup, broth, raisins, vinegar, molasses, soy sauce and reserved 2 teaspoons of Five-Pepper Seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently 10 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. (Sauce will thicken slightly.)
3. Place sauce in blender or food processor container. Cover; pulse on and off for slightly chunky texture. (For a thinner sauce, additional broth may be added 1 tablespoon at a time; pulse on and off after each addition.) Return sauce to saucepan; keep warm until ready to serve.
4. Press remaining Five-Pepper Seasoning evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill covered, 11-16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 15-19 minutes) for medium rare (145 degrees) to medium (160 degrees) doneness, turning occasionally.
5. Remove bones; carve steaks crosswise into slices. Serve with sauce.
Tips from Our Cook
Serve this classic steak with simple sides such as steamed brocoli and roasted new potatoes.
Nutritional information per serving: 335 calories; 11g fat (3g saturated fat; 5g monounsaturated fat); 48mg cholesterol; 1984 mg sodium; 35g carbohydrate; 3.1g fiber; 26g protein; 5.1 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 1.9 mcg vitamin B12; 4.5 mg iron; 9.8 mcg selenium; 4.6 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc, and a good source of fiber and selenium.